U.S. Mint to Launch 2010 Native American $1 Coin

2010NativeAmerican_Rev

The U.S. Mint will launch the 2010 Native American $1 Coin in New York City on Jan. 25, 2010, at 10:30 a.m. It will be introduced at the National Museum of the American Indian George Gustav Heye Center by U.S. Mint Director Ed Moy, joined by John Haworth, the museum’s director.

The coin’s reverse side features designs, which will rotate each year, celebrating the important contributions made by Indian tribes and individual Native Americans to the history and development of the United States. The design for the 2010 coin is based on the theme “Government—the Great Tree of Peace,” recognizing the Native American ideals of equality and democratic self-government that influence Western political concepts. It depicts the Hiawatha Belt with five arrows bound together, along with the inscriptions UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, $1, HAUDENOSAUNEE and GREAT LAW OF PEACE.

The coin’s obverse (heads side) continues to feature Glenna Goodacre’s “Sacagawea” design, first produced in 2000, and the inscriptions LIBERTY and IN GOD WE TRUST. Like the Presidential $1 Coins, the Native American $1 Coins maintain their distinctive edge and golden color, and feature edge-lettering of the year, mint mark and E PLURIBUS UNUM.

12 Comments

  1. Anonymous says:

    How does one purchase these coins? Where? How much?

    Reply
  2. Anonymous says:

    It should read United States and Tribes of America (USTA). I strongly think tribes did not resist as much because they wanted to share the same ideas and dreams that new country was advocating. Instead, we get Nazi America. More American Indians died at the hands of white America than the Jews in Nazi Germany.

    Reply
  3. Anonymous says:

    as anonymous said 150 million native americans were killed yet we never recognize this fact. how about the us coin reflecting that.

    Reply
  4. Anonymous says:

    I would like to see the historic & well know known Tribal Chief's to be honored and recognized on those coins. I think the native american people would know exactly who they are and what nation they are from. That would leave a nation feeling proud, history in each nation is well known and what their chiefs had contributed.

    Reply
  5. Anonymous says:

    My guess is the coin will be circulated like any other coin with a monetary value of $1. Go to the bank after its release and specifically request them.

    Reply
  6. Anonymous says:

    good stories I am a Native woman
    Arlington widow AISES college student
    I like your stories
    I also like to see Natives in a positive light.
    My name is Mary Eychaner I get the AIR in my email

    Reply
  7. Anonymous says:

    How about a coin on Sand Creek Massacre, Wounded Knee Massacre or flight of the Nez Perce

    Reply
  8. Anonymous says:

    I'm Insultated with this coin!! Does our goverment think that with this token, it will quiet down the voices of ALL those life they have taken?? WAKE UP NATIVE NATION!

    Reply
  9. Anonymous says:

    What would you have the government do, "Insultated?" Wave a magic wand and raise all of them from the dead? I get the strong feeling that nothing the government could do would be good enough for you – and that being the case, then you have to ask, why do anything at all? Yep, it's a coin. It's a token. But it's a little bit of recognition, a little bit of progress, a little bit of positive action. But it's a heck of a lot better than kidnapping kids, shaving their heads and sending them to boarding school. Your statement of hatred accomplishes nothing.

    Reply
  10. Anonymous says:

    That is an interesting point…to have Native American historical leaders on the coins…or would they have been known as 'enemy combatants' like those held at GTMO. Looking at it that way…I'm not sure how far we've really come over the last 150 years…

    Reply
  11. Anonymous says:

    By law 20% of the dollar coins issued each year from 2009 to 2016 are the Native American dollars (PL 110-82). The other 80% of dollar coins issued each year commemorate four U.S. Presidents. If you are not a numismatist the easiest way to get dollar coins is to buy through the mint's Circulating $1 Direct Ship Program. You can order direct from the U.S. Mint's website, Ten $25 rolls ($250) shipped via mail (no shipping or handling) for $250.

    Reply
  12. Anonymous says:

    Candidates for the gold coin should include our three native Olympic Gold Medalists, as well as other native olympians, such as the 10K silver medalist. We have a recent Heisman winner. Let us not forget Wilma Mankiller. Politics, business, code talkers, golf, astronaut, artists, living treasures, and others. We have many potential candidates.

    Reply

Leave a Comment

Powered by WordPress | Theme Credit